Sunday, January 10, 2010

Tomato Vegetable Risotto - Recipe

For some reason, I've been craving risotto with tomato in it, something I've never had before (so I don't know why I'm craving it). I tried finding an easy recipe using ingredients I had on hand. I did not want to go back to the store because it's freaking cold out there. And I couldn't spend too much time looking because I'm still working on getting all my recipes into Living Cookbook and my junkputer can't handle too many things at once. I married a guy like that. So I just modified the Easy Risotto Recipe from the Better Homes & Gardens 75th Anniversary cookbook (p 82).

2 oz chopped onion
1 clove garlic (not in the original recipe)
1 tbs butter (I used 2 tsp olive oil)
2/3 c uncooked arborio rice
1 cup broth or stock
1 8-oz can tomato sauce
(the original recipe calls for 2 cups of water, but I almost always use stock or broth)
1 tsp chicken bouillion (optional - I left it out for this recipe)
dash pepper
1 cup mixed vegetables (original recipe calls for 2/3 cup of peas, if I recall correctly) - if frozen, warm them a bit
4 tbs Parmesan cheese (yeah, I use the crap in the can)

1. In a medium sauce pan, cook the onion and garlic in the butter until tender. Add the rice, stir, and cook 2 minutes. Stir in the tomato sauce, then add the broth a little at a time. Bring to boil, then reduce to low-medium heat, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes. You'll need to keep an eye on it and stir often. Unlike the original, which you just cover and leave, this one needed babysitting.

2. Remove pan from heat. Stir in vegetables and cheese. Cover and let stand 5 minutes.

This makes 6 servings.
132 calories, 3 g fat, 21.4 g carbs (1.6 g fiber), 4.2 g protein - 3 WW points/Core+1

I was really surprised how good this tasted. I thought it was toast when it started sticking while I cooked it, but it came out beautifully. I threw in some basil, too. Very good, and I'll be making it again. It would also make a great filling for burritos - leave out the vegetables and put some beans in.

No comments: