Saturday, January 2, 2010

Homemade Venison Hot Pockets - Recipe

I've started my "try one new recipe per week" challenge, and my official new recipe day is Sunday, but we threw these together today and I almost cried, they were so good. Not pretty to look at because I can't roll dough to save my life but defreakinglicious!!!

Crust: (I found the recipe here.)

2 1/4 cup all purpose flour (you can use whole wheat, or whatever combination you like)
1 Tbs. Active dry yeast
1 Tsp. salt
1 cup very warm water
1 Tsp. sugar
1 Tbs. Olive oil

1. In a large bowl, combine 2 ¼ cup flour, yeast and salt. Stir until ingredients are well mixed.

2. In a small bowl, combine water, sugar and olive oil.

3. Slowly add water mixture to flour mixture. More flour may be added (1-tablespoon at a time) if, after mixing, the dough is still too soft.

4. Knead dough well with hands for 20-25 seconds.

5. Place the dough in a small bowl that has been coated with a non-stick spray; turn the dough to lightly coat with 'oil'. Cover with plastic wrap or a small plate and allow dough to rise at room temperature for 35 to 40 minutes; dough should double in size.

6. Punch the dough down and let sit for 10 minutes.

7. Cut the dough into 6 chunks of equal size. On a floured surface, roll out each ball of dough to desired thickness and shape (we did really thin rectangle-like shapes).

Filling:
1 lb venison (or other lean meat) sliced thin or chopped small
half a large onion, sliced
1 green pepper (or red, yellow, orange)
your favorite seasoning (we used Adobo)
1/2 - 1 ounce of cheese (shredded or sliced thin)

Cook these all up in a skillet with a little bit of olive oil and drain well. Distribute the filling over on half of each crust, leaving a little room around the edges. Fold the empty half of the crust over the filling and pinch edges together. Place on cookie sheet sprayed with Pam. Bake at 400 degrees for about 15-20 minutes.

I don't take pictures of my food or the process. I am much too lazy and my computer is a piece of crap.

No comments: