Friday, July 2, 2010

Homemade Herb & Garlic Mayonnaise - Recipe

I got tired of buying mayonnaise, not using it, it going bad, needing to buy more. So I hunted for a simple recipe to make it myself. It doesn't get any simpler than an egg and a cup of oil. But after trying the new Kraft sandwich mayonnaises, I needed to make my mayonnaise with a kick.

My first attempt at homemade mayonnaise flopped. I used extra virgin olive oil by accident. Don't use EVOO - the flavor is too strong. That aside, the mayonnaise didn't whip up properly, probably because I poured the oil in too quickly. So remember to pour your oil in slowly. If you have a stand mixer, I think it's better than a whisk.

1 large egg
1 cup canola oil
1/2 tsp salt (adjust as needed)
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried parsley

1. Beat the egg slightly in the mixer bowl. Turn the beater to medium-high speed and very slowly pour (almost like a drizzle) in the canola oil. Let it mix very well, until soft peaks form.

2. Add in spices and mix on medium speed.

3. Store in refrigerator for up to a week.

This makes 24 servings (2 tsp/10 g each), each with 83.4 calories, 9.3 g fat, 0 g carbs, 0.3 g protein - 2 WW/Core friendly (and you get your 2 tsp of healthy oils!)

No comments: