Monday, September 7, 2009

P90X - Week 1 - Monday

Chest & Back today. It was so awesome!!! I was surprised how quickly the time went by. I don't care much for waiting for Tony to shut the hell up and get started, but as soon as I know all the moves, I won't bother using the video much, or I'll fast forward. I did some push ups on my toes, some on my knees, especially in the second round. Pull ups were all with the chair, and I managed one chin up without it. I did have problems with my chair staying put. It was sliding forward every time I braced against it, so I need to figure something out. I had that same problem doing the decline push ups until I finally just used my weight bench instead of the chair to put my feet on. For heavy pants and lawn mowers, I used 20 pound weights for 10 reps. I might move up to 25 pounds next week. For back flys, I started with 10 pounds and 10 reps but it was too light so I did 15 pounds and 10 reps the next round. Not too shabby.

If you're not familiar with Chest & Back, it's basically:

standard push up
wide front pull up
military push up
reverse grip chin up
wide fly push up
closed grip overhand pull up
decline push up
heavy pants
diamond push up
lawnmowers
dive bomber push up
back fly

Then repeat the exercises. You use weights for heavy pants and lawn mowers (which are variations of rows) and the back fly. Aim for 8-10 (for strength and size) or 12-15 (to lean out) reps for weighted exercise, to failure for the others.

Ab Ripper X SUCKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was hard. I rarely do isolated core work, and it shows. I made it through maybe half the reps. I was able to do most of the Mason Twists, but only because I kept my feet on the floor. Next time I'll try to raise them up. After In & Outs, I was pretty much toast. Forget V-up roll ups or whatever the heck they are called. Not fun. But I hear it does get easier, so I'm hoping!

ARX is 11 exercises, 25 reps each, except for the last move (which is 50 reps):

in & outs
bicycles/reverse bicycles
crunchy frog
cross leg/wide leg sit ups
Fifer scissors
hip rock & raise
pulse ups
v-up roll up
oblique v-up (25 per side)
leg climbs
Mason twists

6:55 AM - apple & cottage cheese

10:30 AM - chicken breast & black beans

2:00 PM - chicken salad w/ green peppers, picante sauce & light sour cream; We're allowed 2 cups of salad vegetables but I probably had close to four - there's nothing in lettuce!!!

5:10 PM - tilapia & mixed vegetables

5:50 PM - yogurt

8:30 PM - omelet & homemade sausage; I was so under my calorie and protein goals that I had to make a monster omelet. Even with that, I barely cracked my minimum - a self imposed 1400 calories. I was nowhere close to the recommended 1800 calories!!

Four cups of coffee and 80 ounces of water.

Calories - 1488
Carbs - 117 (16 fiber)
Protein - 177
Fat - 32
C/P/F Ratio - 31.9/48.2/19.9 [Remember - the Phase I goal is 30/50/20]

3 comments:

Hayley said...

Sounds as though this workout is kicking ass!! I imagine the ab stuff is tough. I can't wait to read more!

Maine Girl said...

Good for you for starting! Isn't it funny how different people react to Tony and all his comments. I LOVE it! I have a friend though who HATES him and can't wait til he can mute button all the workouts.
So you must be going more for bulk? I haven't used anything over 8lbs for weights, and do 15 reps of everything. Of course, you are probably more ripped than me to start :)

Becky said...

LOL I'm not ripped but I've been lifting for a while and I have a little bit of strength. I could stand to lose some body fat but I like be done with things as quickly as possible. So, 8-10 reps as heavy as I can lift gives me just that little bit longer to NOT lift.