Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Jillian Kicks My Butt - Week 9 - Tuesday

30 seconds rest between exercises and sets.

barbell squat 3x5x75
barbell calf raise 3x8x75

barbell bench press 3x5x65
dips 3x8xbodyweight; I think these are what makes the inner part of my elbow hurt.

barbell Romanian deadlift 3x5x85
chest supported dumbbell row 3x8x20

Biggest Loser stuff this morning. I really wanted to toss this and use the Wii but I consider the Wii fun, and not exercise. 40 minutes and 187 calories...it was definitely not my best effort.

I've been thinking about my lack of progress with the scale. I know the scale is not the best measure of progress, blah, blah, blah. I know all that. Last night, when I ate a granola bar almost immediately after eating cottage cheese and an apple, I felt guilty. At the time, I just felt hungry, but after I went to bed, I was mentally kicking myself in the butt. I probably could have ignored the hunger - and yes, it was hunger - but I was getting cranky and I just needed something. Broccoli and cauliflower did not sound appealing at all. It's easy to say "Oh, eat some vegetables, they will fill you up." But no, I'm not going to just eat a bunch of vegetables that won't really satisfy me. Being satisfied with what I eat is about more than just volume/quantity. It's about more than the nutritional quality of the food, too. I am finally to the point where I would rather have fruit and nuts than candy. I'd rather have an avocado over anything else in the world. Hummus, rather than mayonnaise. I love my homemade bread and tortillas and granola bars. I honestly believe they are healthy. I do try not to overeat them - I'm satisfied with one piece of toast at breakfast, rather than two pieces - and I really do think I'm doing well nutritionally. So I think my body just needs maintenance right now. I'm not going to change anything about how I eat. If the scale doesn't move, so be it. Of course, if I start really gaining (though, I don't see how fat gain is possible if I'm keeping my calories where they are now), then I'll have to do something. But for now, I can't freak myself out about the lack of progress. There are other areas I can focus on, such as improving my overall fitness. I think that is a good place to shift my attention.

6:35 AM - apple & cottage cheese

11:00 AM - omelet w/ onions, green pepper, cube steak & salsa, toast w/ light cream cheese, an apple while I was cooking

2:40 PM - salad w/ cucumber, tomato, green pepper & Italian dressing

5:45 PM - spaghetti squash w/ stew meat

6:30 PM - cucumber w/ mustard, avocado

8:15 PM - protein granola bar; I agonized over whether or not I should have one. I'm still hungry.

Four cups of coffee and 120 ounces of water.

Calories - 1552
Carbs - 162 (32 fiber)
Protein - 108
Fat - 57
C/P/F Ratio - 40.6/27.1/32.3

3 comments:

Hayley said...

This is a fantastic post Becky, and honestly I was just on my way over to your blog to say exactly the same thing. Jillian always talks about your body finding a "happy place" or getting to a weight that it doesn't want to go below. You probably could go drop some more weight, but that would almost be like forcing your body to go below the weight it wants to be at...and it would also mean changing your diet, which I think is perfectly reasonable right now. I'm really glad you've come to this conclusion and you do NOT need to feel guilty over eating a granola bar when you were experiencing actual hunger! You should be proud, because you honored your body's signals. Look how far you've come! :)

Becky said...

Thank you, Hayley, for the reinforcement. You always know what to say. Have you considered virtual training? I think you'd be good at it.

Hayley said...

Thank you so much Becky!! You seriously just made my day. :) I briefly thought about it once a while back, but I realized I like the idea of interacting with people. It's something I always keep in my head though...you never know! Thanks again. :)