Saturday, June 13, 2009

Jillian Kicks My Butt - Week 6 - Saturday

No rest between exercises. Between pairs, just enough to change out weights when needed.

pull/chin up 5x3xbodyweight; I managed 1 regular chin up per set, so 5 chin ups and 10 negatives!!!
dumbbell calf raise 3x8x30; Next week, I'm switching this to my other workout, to pair with squats so I can use the barbell. The dumbbells are taking too much from my arms when I really, really need them for chin ups. I'll put the planks in its place here. I think that would be much better all around.

barbell hang clean & press 3x5x40
double crunch 3x8

dumbbell stationary lunge 3x5x25 per side
walking push up 3x8

I tried a new cardio program today - Turbo Jam Cardio Party 3. I meant to try this out last weekend, but my husband was home and I despise an audience when I'm doing a new routine. I previewed it the night before and it looked a little chaotic, and I sure as heck didn't want my husband distracting me. At least with Cardio Party 2, my body knows the routine without much thought. My high from doing 5 chin ups was smashed to bits when I saw that this 50 minute workout only burned 251 calories. Between this and Recharge (which I almost didn't do because I was so discouraged), I burned 296 calories in 71 minutes.

My best guess with the calories here is that my monitor "learned" more about my heart rate in the last month and adjusted. That's discouraging because a) the calorie numbers I was getting must be inflated and b) I'm busting my hump and burning crap for calories. I'm not half-assing my workouts. Well, if I say I do, then I did, but for the most part, I'm putting in maximum effort! How is it that 50 minutes of pretty intense cardio only burns 250 calories? Now that I look at some of the web sites that calculate calories burned based on weight and time and type of activity, 50 minutes of low impact aerobics does, indeed, burn about 250 calories for my weight. I wouldn't call today's session high impact or general aerobics (which burn 349 and 324 calories, respectively) because I was just learning the moves and couldn't really do the jumps. And there aren't even a lot of jumps in Turbo Jam. Now, if I were doing Jillian's Banish Fat, that's high impact - part of it anyway. Ah, frak it. there are just so many variables. I don't know why I'm obsessing.

I'll tell you why I'm obsessing. I bought this heart rate monitor as a tool since I wasn't tracking my food. But now that I am tracking my food again, and I'm getting lower (though probably accurate) readings, I wonder WTF I'm doing. What do the numbers tell me? I don't know. I can't really work harder during the work out. I put my all into it. I can't work out more. I work out enough - 7 hours a week is perfectly acceptable. They are intense hours. I should not feel like I'm doing anything wrong, or not working hard enough. But I do, and it's pissing me off. I have a $100 watch with a big, ugly face.

7:25 AM - Total cereal w/ skim milk; half my son's waffle

11:10 AM - turkey bacon, scrambled eggs w/ onion, green pepper & salsa

3:00 PM - grilled chicken breast w/ sauteed onions & green beans

8:45 PM - shrimp dip phyllo rolls; This is just cooked shrimp & cream cheese with chives mixed in the food processor, then rolled on phyllo dough. I knew this was going to be a heavy meal and planned my day accordingly. It was SO WORTH IT!

Three cups of coffee (two with Bailey's) and 120 ounces of water.

Calories - 1566
Carbs - 160 (16 fiber)
Protein - 116
Fat - 47
C/P/F Ratio - 41.8/30.5/27.8

And the differential is a guestimate this week, considering the wonky HRM stuff and the granola bars I ate and couldn't track. I burned 2075 calories through exercise and my BMR for the week was 11431, for a total of 13506. I ate 11043 plus the 800 (approximately) from the granola bars for 11843 calories eaten. the difference is 1663. I'm not in enough of a calorie deficit for even half a pound.

2 comments:

Hayley said...

Out of curiosity, are you wearing your HRM all day or just while you exercise?

Becky said...

Just while I exercise. Actually, only during cardio or walking.