Monday, January 12, 2009

NROL - Week 24 - Monday

No meditation last night - I was just too lazy. I'd spent the evening watching shows on obesity on Discovery Health Channel. I had so many thoughts running through my head during those 3 hours, many of them rather insensitive. First, I thought, I'm glad I'm not (and never was) morbidly obese, even at my highest weight. I was technically obese, but even close to morbidly so. And I am thankful for that. My second thoughts, especially watching the show about the 800 and 600 pound teens, were "what kind of parent lets their child get that way?" The mother of the 800 pound 19-year old, I could begin to understand as the show went on - her first son had died at 19 months, then years later she had her second son, she just gave him everything. She didn't know how to step back. So there's a lot of psychological stuff there. As I'm sure there is with the 600 pound 16-year old, but I couldn't figure it out from the show. Thirdly, the shows really put my own problems in perspective. My binge eating is ridiculously minor compared to some people, and I'm learning to handle it, so I am so, so thankful for that. I felt sorry for the people on these shows. This morning, I heard discussion on the radio of a finding that a higher percentage of Americans are obese than are just overweight. The percentage of overweight and obese Americans was about 64%, I think. I'd have to track down the actual article. That leaves just 36% of Americans who are in the healthy range, or underweight. I wonder how many are underweight, to get a true picture of healthy weight Americans. At first, I used the word "normal" range/weight but it seems that normal isn't necessarily healthy anymore. (Of course, obesity/overweight is determined by BMI, which is really not the best indicator, especially if one has a lot of muscle mass, so I think the true percentage may be a tad lower.)

Strangely, this is inspiring to me. I refuse to be one of those 64% (or whatever that number is - as I said, I don't have the article in front of me, but it's in the 60s). Even yesterday morning, I felt some strange sort of empowerment, a certainty that this is going to be my year. I can feel and see the changes in my body, even if the scale isn't always reflecting those changes. I'm getting stronger, I think, and I even joked with my husband yesterday, showing off my biceps. He played along like a good husband should, and it was motivating.

Today was HyperIA, 5x5 with 90 seconds rests.

[superset w/ full rest]:
db incline press 5x5x25
Yates row 5x5x65

[superset w/ full rest]:
db shoulder press 5x5x20
inverted row - 5x5xbw

[superset w/ full rest]:
bb close grip bench press 5x5x55
high pull 5x5x55

Swiss ball crunch 3x15x30

6:25 AM - apple & cottage cheese

8:55 AM - coffee w/ half-and-half & Splenda, Cocoa Krispies w/ skim milk; I really wanted to try to eat something I normally wouldn't, just to see if I could handle the chocolate, and I actually had 2 servings; I did get hungry soon after but tried to hold off before eating something else

10:20 AM - chicken breast w/ cheese on potato roll; it's going to be a carby day for sure; it's all I'm craving, and technically, it should be a higher carb day anyway (if I stick to carb cycling, which I rarely do)

1:40 PM - tilapia & carrots

6:00 PM - homemade soup (beef, mixed vegetables, brown rice, pasta); I didn't measure any of this out

7:00 PM - crackers w/ peanut butter & banana; I didn't measure this either, and it was spur of the moment

No numbers today due to laziness.


Hayley said...

Becky I am so very proud of you and already I see and read huge changes in your attitude. In my eyes you've already taken major control of you life by conquering binge eating and I know within no time at all you won't give it a second thought. I don't know what you look like but I'm sure you've made ginormous changes - physical and internal - in your life. I'm so proud of you! :)

Becky said...

Thanks, Hayley. I really do feel in control, as long as there aren't any big emotional stressors.