Saturday, April 23, 2011

Insanity - Week 4 - Saturday - Bunny Hop 5K

I'd been so psyched all week for the Bunny Hop 5K and then last night, I just lost all motivation. I was dreading it. Then I had a horrible dream that I woke up an hour after the scheduled start time. I was so upset in my dream, but it wouldn't have been all that bad if I'd missed it. It was just a fundraiser for our Go Far program, and not our program's actual 5K and Fun Run. That's May 21. I definitely have to be there for that.

Anyway, this morning, I just wanted it over. I had no idea whether or not I'd be able to run at all. I worried my mp3 player would quit working on me at the beginning of the race. I worried the sun would be in my eyes, or I'd have sunglasses on needlessly.

You can read all the details and commentary with pictures here, but here is a recap:

I ran the entire race and my time was 27:51 - an even 9-minute mile pace, and I came in second in the age group they put me in, which was the wrong one. They put me in 30-34. Had I been in the proper group of 35-39, I would have been sixth. I was 29th out of 85 females. I don't know what I was overall. I didn't care. My net calorie burn for the 5K was 270 calories, good for 4 activity points.

THEN came the one-mile Fun Run. I wanted to run it, but I promised my son I'd stay with him, and he's not a runner. He surprised me by actually running a bit, then at the very end, I ran ahead so I could take a picture of him crossing the finish line.

THEN, there was a mix-up and some people came late because the advertised start of the Fun Run was different than when we actually started. So I left my son with my husband and ran that one, too! I'll take another 2 activity points for both Fun Runs.

So, to recap, my first run/walk 5K last November gave me a gun time of 33:11, and a 10:40 pace. Today, I ran the whole thing in 27:51 with a 9:00 pace. Not too shabby considering I don't run. I barely do short jogs with my Go Far kids so I'm really proud of myself for doing this. I know I won't beat today's time in next month's race because Insanity will surely kill me, but today, I was really hoping for improvement.

And speaking of Insanity, my legs did not really fatigue today they way they do with Insanity, and I was able to get my heart rate up and keep it up.

Food:
coffee w/ skim milk [4]
banana [0] - Actually, I had a banana an hour before the race and two or three after my run. I did NOT eat any of the junk food (cupcakes, cookies, brownies, etc) they had set out for the runners!! GO ME!!!
steak, shrimp & salad [20] - I promptly went to Applebees for the steak and salad I've been craving for weeks. It was perfect.
apple & cheese [4]
turkey salad w/ homemade dressing [11]

I used all 29 of my daily points and all of my activity points, and have 44 weekly points remaining.

1 comment:

Jess said...

You are awesome! I'm so proud of you! See...you are a runner after all!!! :)