Monday, July 13, 2009

Labor Day Challenge - Week 1 - Monday

Well, this is Week 1 of 8 (I think) for my last program before a vacation. For Labor Day, we're heading home for a wedding. My husband is best man and I haven't seen these people in a while (some since my own wedding 10 years ago), so I want to look good. When we leave, it will be my first break (aside from Sundays) from exercise in 24 (or maybe 26) weeks. It will be a very well deserved long weekend off!!

The plan, Stan, is to lift weights 4 times a week. I hit up the Baby Got Back program again because I enjoyed it the first time I did it. I did pick some new exercises this time around, and I'm satisfied with how I put it together. On lifting days, I'll follow up with a short Turbo Jam workout OR high intensity interval training/tabata OR a Spartan workout - you know, a 100-1000 rep circuit (though, it will be a while before I'm able to do the 1000 rep circuit). On days I don't lift, longer Turbo Jam or Tae Bo workouts. I'm aiming for 750 calories burned through cardio per week.

WORKOUT A:

I did these 3 as a circuit, with 30 seconds of rest at the end of the circuit:
lying barbell press 5x5x65
seated calf raise 3x20x20
one-arm dumbbell row 5x5x30
Then this on it's own, with 30 seconds of rest between sets:
lying dumbbell fly 3x8x15

My original plan was to follow up with Turbo Jam 20 Minute Workout, but I'm so tired of DVDs that I took the day off from videos. I didn't have a timer ready for doing HIIT, but I did have my tabata mp3, so I did 1 tabata. I warmed up with a light jog for 30 seconds, then did the 20 seconds work/10 seconds rest (I jogged): jumping jacks, football drills, punch/hop combo, Turbo twist, repeat, jog for 30 seconds. It was only 5 minutes and I only burned 35 calories, but research suggests that they payoff comes in the 12-18 hours after the tabata. I'm too lazy to find the links, but you can Google it! I promise, tabatas are the shit! I've done them before and they are always good for an ass kicking. I want to work my way up to a Sweet 16, or 4 tabatas in a row.

The best part about today's workout? From warm up to post-tabata cool down tool 45 minutes. The workout itself, weights and tabata - half hour!! No more of the 80 minute bull. Never again!!!

Oh, and I have shin splits. Fun.

I made the 40 mile trek to the farmers market again. I did stop at the one closer and at first it didn't look like they had much in terms of variety, quantity, or quality, but when I drove back through I stopped in again and they had more out. This one is only a couple miles from my house and I think I'm going to start going there every week, and the other one every other week (because they do have more variety). While I was at the far away market, I treated myself and my son to a piece of peanut butter chocolate fudge. They don't have fudge at our rinky dink produce stand here on the beach! It was my son's first time eating real fudge - the peanut butter protein fudge I made does not count as super decadent. He was blown away!! It was nice to sit there and share that with him, and I never once thought of the calories or anything like that. I just enjoyed it.

However, on the way home, I had a few fleeting thoughts of "Ok, I've blown it for the day - I might as well keep up with the junk!" Fortunately, by the time I got home, I was no longer thinking those silly thoughts, and looked forward to the rest of the meals I had planned for the day, none of which included junk food.

6:50 AM - apple & cottage cheese

8:25 AM - apple & yogurt; The apple I bought at the store yesterday was so big, I just split it into a pre and post workout snack.

10:30 AM - Somewhere around this time I had the fudge. It wasn't sample size either.

12:15 PM - salad w/ tomato, green pepper, avocado & sun dried tomato dressing

3:50 PM - kabobs; I didn't measure anything on these. they had red onion, green & red peppers, red potatoes & cube steak with a honey glaze.

5:45 PM - coleslaw, Rice Krispies w/ 1% milk & banana; I'm thinking the fudge was a bad idea because I've wanted to eat all day. Oh, and I know it's a weird combo of foods.

Two cups of coffee and 120 ounces of water.

No numbers today.

1 comment:

Hayley said...

You certainly deserve a break after all the hard work you put in! I imagine your friends won't even recognize you. Definitely be proud Becky! It sounds like you have a good plan from now until Labor Day. :)

Oh...do NOT worry about the fudge! The calories in that were probably minimal when you look at the total # of calories you consume over a week.