Thursday, May 21, 2009

Jillian Kicks My Butt - Week 3 - Thursday

Turbulence Training Workout 1B:

superset pairs - no rest between sets, 1 minute rest between pairs

low incline db bench press - 3x8x25
db Romanian deadlift - 3x8x30

db close grip bench press - 3x8x20
db shrug w/ calf raise - 3x8x30

push up - 3x12xbodyweight - I did all of these on my knees. I was just too tired to split them like I did last time.
Swiss ball rollout - 3x15xbodyweight

I did the Biggest Loser cardio stuff again, 40 minutes and 205 calories. I was really dragging though. I absolutely did not want to do the cardio.

I'm kind of in a quandary here. My grip, as I've said before, sucks. I am working on it, but in the meantime, some things are going to suffer. I can deadlift more then 60 pounds (2 30 pound dumbbells) but I can't hold on to the stupid things. I did wear my gloves today and the whole time I was afraid I was going to drop the weights and break my feet. If I switch to a barbell, it's really not the same Turbulence Training workout. So I may need to fly by the seat of my pants for a while, as far as weight lifting goes. There are TONS of Turbulence Training workouts (and I'd have more if I weren't too cheap to join the official club) so I don't think it's going to be a problem. I may switch at the end of Week 4, just to keep things even.

I have to rant about something. I spend a lot of time reading on the SparkPeople Fitness & Exercise board and every say, the question "Will Exercise Program XYZ work for me?" comes up. People always want to know what kind of results others get with, say 30 Day Shred or ChaLean Extreme. And you know what hardly ever gets brought into the discussion? Diet. People forget that losing weight is mostly about diet. You can kill yourself in the gym two hours a day, but if you eat crap, you're not going to lose the weight. Trust me. I spent half a year exercising my ass off but eating badly and all I had to show for it was a 4 pound gain. And no, you did not gain a bunch of muscle in a week, or even a month. More likely, you measured yourself wrong. Scales up but you're eating right? It's water. It will go away. And come back, then go away again. This is not a downhill ride, people. For most of us, its a roller coaster. Focus on the long haul, not the short term.

Which is why I'm not going to worry about the scale anymore. I'll still weigh once a week, but I'm pretty sure I'm at the point where my body is happy (even if I'm not) and it's going to come off frustratingly slowly. The last time I weighed this little, I had to pretty much starve the rest of it off, and I'm not doing that this time. I'm not nearly as gross looking as I was a year ago, or two years ago, so I can live with it. I'm not bikini ready but that was never my goal anyway. My goals are to have a body I'm comfortable with (I am) and get strong (I am getting there) and get fit (this needs a little work). So no more freaking out on Sunday mornings when the scale is off. No more speculating on what might be causing a gain/stand still. Report the number as a matter of fact, and that's it!

5:20 AM - Fiber One cereal w/ skim milk

7:00 AM - yogurt

11:30 AM - turkey bacon, scrambled eggs w/ onion, green pepper & salsa, toast w/ hummus; Someone has to eat that hummus!

1:00 PM - apple & cottage cheese w/ cinnamon & Splenda

2:55 PM - baby carrots & green peppers w/ hummus

4:20 PM - I just snuck 2 really small pieces of Easter candy I found in the back of the freezer and they are so, so good, I feel like I'm going to lose it!!!!!!!! I am just so damn hungry today. I think, with the exception of my breakfast (the scrambled eggs meal), I'm not eating enough at one time, so I end up snacking all day. I have to change that. I've noticed that pattern for a while now.

5:20 PM - Fiber One cereal w/ skim milk & a quarter of a banana

8:00 PM - grilled chicken breast w/ green beans & hummus; Don't worry, I'll be out of hummus tomorrow. I need to buy more beans. I don't eat a lot at one time - usually a tablespoon or two.

Four cups of coffee and 120 ounces of water today.

1 comment:

Jess said...

Great post, Becky. You are SO right in everything you said! You are so strong now...mentally and physically. As usual, keep up the great work! :)