Monday, May 4, 2009

Jillian Kicks My Butt - Week 1 - Monday

It's finally here!!! I've been waiting to start this challenge for weeks. I can't even begin to tell you how excited I am.

Today, I did Level 1 of 30 Day Shred and Jillian's No More Trouble Zones. 30 Day Shred went fairly quickly and easily, but No More Trouble Zones was twice as long and it was all strength exercises. I did use light weights for these (3 & 5 pounders) because I'm doing strength training separately. I can't remember the last time I sweat so much. My hair was a horrible, hot, wet mess, falling out of my ponytail and the chest strap of my heart rate monitor was sweaty and gross and there were moments I wanted to kick Jillian in the teeth, but I made it through 82 minutes of circuits, and the only trouble I had was with abs. My abs are horribly weak, probably because I keep avoiding working them, especially with floor work. According to my handy dandy new toy, my max heart rate was 154 and my average was 124, and I burned 456 calories, which is pretty darn close to what SparkPeople calculated I would burn. So now I'm questioning my purchase again. Ugh! I hate second guessing myself after the fact.

And speaking of the heart rate monitor, it's okay. It's a bit uncomfortable right now, until I break in the band. The beeping drives me nuts. I'm going to have to turn that off. And I swear, this thing is so big, it looks like something Flavor Flav would wear. I may find it indispensable at some point but for now, I'm not a fan. However, it has a very geeky cool feature - I can send my workout information to Polar's web site and track it over time. I am going to love that.

OH! I managed to find my initial weigh in for the Pound For Pound Challenge (something The Biggest Loser was part of - you pledge how much weight you want to lose by the deadline - which is tomorrow - and for every pound you lose, they donate a pound of food to a local food bank). I pledged 22 pounds and that is exactly what I lost! Yay me!

5:10 AM - Total cereal w/ skim milk

7:20 AM - cottage cheese & mandarin oranges

10:20 AM - coffee w/ half-and-half & Splenda, turkey bacon, toast w/ butter, scrambled eggs w/ onion, green pepper & salsa

1:05 PM - cottage cheese & almonds; I'm still portioning both of these out.

2:40 PM - sno-cone

3:50 PM - grilled boneless pork chop w/ peas

5:05 PM - 1 meatball; Yes, just one. My son had one leftover and it made my belly feel good.

7:15 PM - tilapia & broccoli w/ sweet onion dressing

Two cups of coffee and 140 ounces of water today.

7 comments:

Jess said...

I am laughing at your hot, wet mess comment. That was me about an hour ago! :oP

I totally scoped out heart rate monitors at Walmart yesterday. I have NO clue what I'm looking for or what I want and so I didn't buy one. I have a $50 gift card to Dick's Sporting Goods and I'm thinking about using it towards something like that. Unfortunately, the one they have there is like $170! I suppose it could be my Mother's day and birthday present? That's a crap load of money though...

I was just thinking of the PFP challenge today! Great minds think alike! I *thought* it was already over though and so I'm glad you posted this. I *almost* met my goal. I pledged 15 lbs. and lost 12.

Becky said...

You want to get one with a chest strap - they are more accurate than the ones that just go on the wrist. The Polar F6, which seems to be the most popular for general fitness, looks like a giant watch and has plastic (or maybe some kind of rubber?) chest strap that measures your heart rate and sends the info to the watch piece.

Great job on your PFP! That's 12 pounds for the food bank :) No losers here. Not the bad kind, anyway :)

Jess said...

I will keep that in mind. Thanks for the tip!

Thanks... and thank you for turning me on to the challenge. I told DH that that made me feel good tonight...to know that my 12 lbs. loss helped out someone less fortunate. What a great idea?!

Hayley said...

I have a Polar F6 too and I can't imagine NOT every using it while I exercise! I've been wearing one for years now and I feel lost without it when I workout, so hopefully you'll get used to it! I don't even notice the size of the wrist watch anymore, but I never figured out how to send info to the website! Interesting that SparkPeople is so accurate! :)

Did you do Jillian's SHred & the muscle work back to back? The No More Trouble zones sounds quite a bit more challenging!! I'm so tempted to try it...

You are on FIRE Becky...I LOVE IT! I liked the "it felt good in my tummy" comment about the meatball..LOL..

Becky said...

Hayley, I'm doing my muscle work on the days I don't Shred. I did it today.

No More Trouble Zones is GREAT!!! Well, except for the abs Circuit. Ugh, I hate abs!! LOL Tomorrow, I'm doing her 40 minute cardio circuit, Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism and I think I'm going to like that better.

Hayley said...

Did you buy her DVDs in a box set or just order them separately? They sound great and like something different to do.

Becky said...

I got them separately. Her Cardio Kickbox is also good, and it's only 20 minutes.