Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Jillian Kicks My Butt - Week 1 - Tuesday

I absolutely loved my strength training workout!! I was up at 5 AM again - it's so nice to get through most of the workout without my son bugging me. Plus, I have more time to do other stuff in the morning before taking him to school.

Turbulence Training Workout 1A:

superset pairs - no rest between sets, 1 minute rest between pairs

db step up (per side) - 3x6x20
inverted row - 3x6xbodyweight

db sumo squat - 3x8x20
db row - 3x8x20

side plank (per side) - 10 seconds
stationary lunge chop (per side) - 3x8x15

Immediately after this, I did two cardio segments: the Men's Intervals from Biggest Loser Workout II and the High Intensity Cardio from Biggest Loser Workout I, then the cool down. It was 30 minutes of cardio and 10 minutes of stretching. My HRM said I burned 257 calories, which is slightly more than SparkPeople calculated. I picked these particular segments because I love Bob Harper. I love Jillian too, and prefer her from a training standpoint, but Bob is just so much more entertaining.

I did not wear the HRM during lifting, because I guess they aren't as accurate because of the rest periods. But my heart rate was definitely up! I may wear it for curiosity now and then, but for the most part, I'm not counting any calories I burn during the 25 minutes I'm lifting. Oh, and I warmed up first. I usually forget a good warm up.

The inverted rows are supposed to be pull/chin ups but I was in no shape to try any this morning, after two days of practicing. Even the inverted rows presented a challenge, and I had to keep my knees bent. My husband came home from work and said, "Did you do a pull up today?" Jerk. So I had to go do a chin up.

My stupid cat decided that he just had to walk back and forth in my step up area the entire time I was doing my step ups. He's lucky he didn't get stepped on with that extra 40 pounds I was holding.

Speaking of SparkPeople, I really wish they'd change their blog commenting format. I would love to comment to everyone's post, but the format does not flow well for interaction. Blogger's isn't much better, but I get fewer comments there. I wish they both had threaded formats.

I struggled quite a bit this afternoon. I wanted to eat but I couldn't tell if I was really hungry. Then I felt like I wanted food but didn't have room because I drank so much water. Then I was worried I might have eaten too much but I am 100% certain my portions were very reasonable. I don't think I overate. The water is definitely making me feel full.

5:10 AM - apple & cottage cheese

7:50 AM - Total cereal w/ skim milk

10:15 AM - turkey bacon, scrambled eggs w/ onion, green pepper & salsa, toast w/ butter; I had 2 pieces of toast today instead of my usual 1, and - as always - I weighed out the butter.

1:10 PM - chicken salad w/ salsa & sour cream

2:50 PM - 2 homemade chocolate chip cookies; I debated whether or not I wanted these. Well, of course I wanted them, but should I have had them. In the end, I decided these were a much better option than a brownie. I could have 3 cookies the size of the brownie, for the same calories. AND I know exactly what's in the cookies.

5:45 PM - chicken breast & broccoli, cauliflower & carrots w/ cheese sauce (one of those Green Giant Steamers)

8:05 PM - apple; I had no idea what to eat. I desperately wanted a brownie & ice cream, or my cookies and ice cream but I changed my mind. Reluctantly.

Two cups of coffee today (I'm going to stop putting it in the timeline) and 120 ounces of water. And one cup of Celestial Seasonings Green Tea with mint.

No comments: