Thursday, January 31, 2008

Protein Bar recipe

I can't remember where I found this - probably lowcarbfriends.com - but it was in my BFFM/BFL binder. I made the chocolate version.

Preheat oven to 350F

3 cups rolled oats
1 cup (about 92 grams/1 pouch) dry milk
4 scoops (120 grams) protein powder (chocolate or vanilla)
1/2 cup (about 16 grams) Splenda
1 cup (230 grams) low fat cottage cheese
1/2 cup egg substitute
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup sugar free Davinci syrup (chocolate or vanilla)

In one bowl, mix the dry ingredients. In another bowl, mix wet ingredients. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix well. Pour into a well greased (nonstick spray) 9x13 inch pan. Bake 15-20 minutes. Let cool on wire rack. Cut into bars.


Nutritional information for the chocolate bars I made

Cut into 9 bars (which the original recipe calls for):
205 calories
3 g fat
28 g carbs (3 g fiber)
20 g protein

Cut into 12 bars:
154 calories
2 g fat
21 g carbs (2 g fiber)
15 g protein

Cut into 16 bars (what I ended up with):
115 calories
1.7 g fat
16 g carbs (1.6 g fiber)
11 g protein

The verdict:

They aren't horrible. Slightly sweet with an oatmeal texture. I'll make them again. My 3 year old loves them! I might blend the cottage cheese in the food processor first, rather than just mixing it in. Oh, and even though I sprayed the heck out of my pan, it still stuck to it, so I'll use parchment paper next time.

Pics:

whole thing in pan

single serving

No comments: