Friday, September 7, 2007

There is nothing more UNmotivating than...

Reading "expert" opinions that your cardio equipment of choice is a worthless piece of crap.

Since I began this quest for muscle maintenance (and maybe small gains), I have been reading on some of the more popular body building boards. That, of course, is the problem. I'm not interested in body building, certainly not in the same way most of the posters on those board are. Frankly, I think a lot of muscle is gross looking, especially on a woman. That comment is probably offensive, but hey, it's my blog!

Anyway, various boards (and one in particular) really stress me out. There is a lot of great information on those boards, which is why I read, but I occasionally run across a discussion that just makes me feel like everything I've done this year has been useless.

The problem is, everyone acts like their way is right, and it's not. That's when I get pissy. People who aren't experts act like authorities. My way isn't right, your way isn't right, for everyone else. It's right for me. It's right for you. That's why I try not to give advice, so I don't come off as sounding like an omniscient, condescending prick. And that's exactly what one guy on one of the boards sounds like.

Don't get me wrong - there are some people who give great advice without sounding like assholes. It's usually the women. Does testosterone trigger some sort of dick head area of the brain?

Unfortunately, I'll have to either stay off those boards and miss out on valuable information, or take the good with the bad. You really find this situation on every type of board. The Drama Queen in me can't stay away from some places, and I think that's also the part of me that gets so cranky over other things.

But really, it pisses me of and makes me feel like shit when someone says I'm doing [whatever] wrong.

I need to add that part of my frustration may be due to not knowing exactly what I want. For now, I want to maintain the muscle mass I do have and shed body fat. I still have 45 pounds to lose, so I'm a lot way off from body building physique, even if I wanted it. My goals certainly don't match those of the people I'm reading on the other boards.

No comments: