Monday, December 28, 2009

Turbulence Training - Day 1 of 84

Finally, after 3 weeks, I am back on a program. I am so lost without my programs. I've officially registered for the Turbulence Training Transformation Contest. I was listening to Craig's audio on the Rules page and he says that no winner has ever been a non-member, meaning that every TTT winner so far has also been a member of the forums. One can become a basic member for $20 a month or a platinum member for $200 a year. You get access to various workouts and exercise demo videos for those workouts. However, I already pieced together the workouts and I know how to Google and YouTube for exercise demos. There's no way I'm paying a dime for member-to-member support (which I can also get free at any number of diet & fitness web sites). Being a non-member, I have no shot at winning (even though CB says it doesn't really matter, but the support is what gets people through it), but I knew I didn't have a shot at winning the Body For Life contest when I did that either. I am, however, going to give it my best shot and submit my before & afters and my essay (which will point out my success despite being a non-member!) when I'm all done.

With that out of the way, on to the workout. These are all bodyweight only exercises for the next four weeks. Thank goodness - you will notice that the dreaded Bulgarian split squats are on the list.

Warm Up:
body weight squat - 10 reps
plank - 20s
push up - 6
repeat

Workout A - rest as little as possible
A1) push ups 3x10
A2) inverted row 3x8
B1) 1-leg squat 3x7 per side
B2) bicycle crunch 3x32
C1) Bulgarian split squat 3x12 per side
C2) elevated push up 3x8
D1) reaching lunge 3x12 per side
D2) mountain climbers 3x20

The whole body weight workout took about 30 minutes. I did take time in between pairs to jot down my reps and of course, I still cannot do a set of Bulgarian split squats without resting and readjusting my body. I hate those things! And I wasn't sure how to figure the activity points for this. I took a few seconds of rest here and there, so I didn't want to count the full 30 minutes. And I wasn't sure if it was light moderate, or heavy exercise. I got warm, but wasn't sweating. I didn't think it really earned 3 points for heavy exercise but it was more challenging than just 1 point for moderate exercise (for 30 minutes). So, I split the difference and took 2 points (for 20 minutes of heavy exercise). I don't like the sliding scale for this. I wish there was a way to calculate calories burned during resistance training, but alas, most heart rate monitors are designed for cardio. I'm not buying a BodyBugg or GoWear monitor. I'm not sure I'd trust their accuracy when strength training, either. Plus, they just monitor more than I really need to know.

Interval Workout: 5 min warm up, 60 s hard pace, 60 s moderate pace x 6, 5 min cool down - all I can say about this is, I HATE RUNNING! I would rather do a billion split squats then gut myself with a dull, rusty knife than run intervals. Unfortunately, running is the only option I have right now. It does help that my new shoes are heavenly. My feet do not hurt at all, so major, major thank you to Running Etc. in Virginia Beach!
Distance: 1.61 miles
Calories: 181 (2 activity points)

I'm back on Weight Watchers, doing the Core program/Simply Filling Technique. I'm so glad to be back. I weighed in at 137 today - up 10 pounds from last week's low and I'm pretty sure I'm back in the overweight category for a few days. I'll get back on the scale January 1, then weekly (Sunday mornings) until whenever.

apple & cottage cheese; Fat free cottage cheese is a filling food - eat until satisfied. Or, eat until you can't gag it down any longer, which in my case was a few bites. This stuff is so nasty. I don't know if I should just try to get used to it or go back to the low fat cottage cheese and count the points for it. I don't get the difference between this crap and the 1% skim - the calories are the same, both are made with skim milk. Why isn't 1% cottage cheese a filling food? Where are the 2.5 grams of fat coming from? Is there a difference between skim milk and nonfat milk?

carrot sticks

omelet w/ green pepper & salsa, light English muffin w/ sugar-free jelly [1 pt for muffin]

carrot sticks & green pepper slices, tuna w/ Swiss cheese on Flat Out bread [3 pts for bread & cheese]

venison tenderloin, small potato, half an avocado & mixed vegetables

banana

air-popped popcorn

Three cups of coffee, one cup of tea and 80 ounces of water. 31 weekly and 4 activity points remaining.

1 comment:

Melty said...

I hate the activty point thing too for weight training. I'm never happy with what I figure. I use the online calculator thing that comes with etools but it's really no better.

As of yesterday, I'm back on program too. Both food and exercisee. I'm just reminding myself that it's a day-by-day thing and is going to be this way for the rest of my life so I need to accept it. As long as I always get back on program at the end of the day, I'll be ok.