Sunday, February 19, 2012

Post-Spartan Workout Plan

Well, in 20 days, it will all be over. I will be on my way home from Georgia with my muddy clothes and my medal. It will also be my rest day, kicking off a 13-week block of time before school lets out. So I put together a workout plan for that time period.

Weeks 1-6, I'm going to lift 3 days a week.

One day will be high weight, low rep. 3 sets of 5 to 8 reps. If I can get 8 reps, the weight goes up and I drop back to 5 reps. I'll work in pairs, as usual.

barbell squat & single leg standing barbell calf raise
lying dumbbell row & low incline bench press
negative chin up & barbell push press
stiff leg dead lift & plank

One day will be moderate weight, moderate rep. 3 sets of 10 to 12 reps. If I can get to 12 reps, the weight goes up and I drop back to 10 reps. And of course, pairs of exercises.

step up & suspended row
lying leg curl & military press
bent over barbell row & medicine ball push up
standing barbell calf raise & side plank

One day will be low (or body) weight, high rep. 3 sets of 15 to 20 reps. Since there aren't really weights for these, I'll slow the moves down to make them harder.

lunge & pike push up
dumbbell shrug & seated row w/ resistance band
push up & donkey kick
stability ball hamstring curl & stability ball jackknife

During Week 7, I'm going to take a recovery week - lots of stretching, low impact cardio. Then Weeks 8-13 will be more lifting, but I haven't settled on a routine yet. I may keep what I have above, if I like it and just continue to add weight, or I might swap some of the high and moderate weight exercises. I have a lot of 5Ks in the next 13 weeks, and maybe an 8K the week after the Spartan. If I did my math right, I have 6 of them on the schedule, not including the Spartan. Three of them are fundraisers. I'd like to be back to my 2011 Bunny Hop shape/speed by the the time that last 5K rolls around, but who knows.

Food was good today. I'm tracking my Weight Watchers points but damn, I don't think that's enough food at all, even eating my Weekly Points. And I don't care what anyone says. Broccoli is not fucking filling.

No comments: