Monday, May 5, 2008

Goals

As promised, I've come up with a set of goals to help keep me focused. I have the exercise down, and I know what I'm supposed to eat. I don't always eat it, but I know the nutrition portion of Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle well. I'll work backwards from the list Tom Venuto gives.

Goal of beating personal best - I'm guessing this one pertains to exercise, specifically weight lifting. Or, I suppose it could apply to any form of cardio where something can be concretely measured. My cardio usually isn't that specific. Anyway, here my goal is to progress in some manner, either reps or weight, every other week for all of the exercises I do. I'm not sure how to assess cardio and beat my personal best. I'm not quite sure what time-frame to give myself for progressing with HIIT. I wish I had a treadmill. Maybe that should be one of my longer term goals.

Ultimate long term goal - Obviously, my goal is to be fit and healthy. I would like to be under 120 lbs and be able to actually run a 5k. And of course - maybe even most importantly, continue exercising and eating right. Part of "eating right" means I have to stop going from one extreme to another - no binges, no starving myself. I want to have control over my emotion, and stop allowing them to control my eating. I want to have a firm grasp of portion control so I can indulge in "forbidden" foods on occasion.

12 month goal - A year from now, I'd like to wear a bikini. I have the one I bought in 2003 when I first got skinny. I was flabby skinny then, so my next bikini will be 2 sizes smaller than the one I have now.

3 month goal - This brings me to the end of July. By this time, I will have been to New York to pick up my step-daughter and will be heading back to take her home. This means two weeks in a place I'm not very good at controlling my eating. So my goal here is to get through it without gaining weight. Also, since I can't bring my equipment on my trips, I will have an alternate plan that I will follow while I am away.

Weekly goals - The most important one is to support others in their fitness journeys. I belong to several online groups with weight loss challenges ongoing. I need to be more supportive and encouraging of their efforts.

Daily goals - These are pretty basic. I will eat every 3-4 hours. I will exercise every day (except Sunday). If I feel like I'm craving something I shouldn't have, I will get on the elliptical for 10 minutes, or find some other healthy distraction.

So, that's all I have for now. I'll revisit my goals every day, and I'll post in my weekly blogs how I've done. Meh.

No comments: