Saturday, June 23, 2012

I'm back, I think.

It's been a very long, stressful month. I was working a lot, transitioning from school jobs to my new job at the hotel, which I love. I work four ten-hour shifts. I'm looking for a second job on my other days off because I'm about to be a single mom. My husband and I are separating (I initiated it) and my son and I are moving into a new place mid-summer. We're still in the house with my husband, and it's been stressful, to say the least. I've been busy and depressed and unmotivated. I've kept my weight in check fairly well, but I haven't been working out. It's time to get back to it.

I was planning on starting July 1, which is a Sunday and would have been a good starting point because the second half of the year begins, it's a new month, blah, blah, blah. But workout buddy, Melissa, wants to start this week. So I'm starting tomorrow. That sexy bitch lost over 100 pounds, got a tummy tuck, and is altogether fabulous.

So what am I doing? There was a lot of debate. I really like doing my own thing, but I've been finding that I stick to a program better. I was going to do New Rules of Lifting for Women again, because it's awesome, but I recently got the latest book, New Rules of Lifting for Life, and Melissa and I decided to go with that. It's highly customizable, but with guidance. So even though Melty and I will be doing the same program, our workouts are going to look very different. Here is what I'm planning for phase 1. All lifts are 2x15, and planks for 30 seconds.


Workout A:
plank w/ reduced base of support
push away

box jump

front squat
db 3 pt row
step up
push up

met: burpees (or HIIT 15 from Turbo Fire)

Workout B:
side plank w/ reduced base of support
spiderman plank

elevated explosive push up

RDL
suspended push up
split squat w/ rear foot elevated
inverted row

met: shadow boxing (Turbo Jam Twist)

On off days, I'm going to be doing some Insanity Asylum and Turbo Fire workouts. I also have a few running events planned for the summer. The first one is a 5K in the sand on Monday. But tomorrow, I have my Insanity Asylum Fit Test. I've tried to schedule my lifting on my days off from the hotel, and cardio will be after work. If I get a second job, everything is going to go to evenings. My new place has a garage, so I'm excited to have a good workout space.

No comments: