Sunday, June 3, 2018

80 Day Obsession - Day Zero

So...I am back for another lame attempt to get in shape. I have been having issues for about a year, with my legs hurting when I walk. I am 100% certain it is claudication from peripheral artery disease. I haven’t seen a doctor because I am in denial but I know my cholesterol is sky high, I am overweight, and a host of other things. My research says exercise and a better diet will help and I would like to make an attempt to get things under control on my own before giving in and seeing a doctor. Yes, I know, I should see a doctor. But I’m not going to. Yet.

Anyway, I have had Beachbody On Demand for over a year and I should probably use it. I really wanted to just start lifting again, and I put together a pretty kick ass program. Then came Get Obsessed With Today. Apparently the Today Show is doing 80 Day Obession, and the nation is joining in. I checked it out and it looks awful so I told myself I should probably do it. I have a few more friends who are going to do it, so I joined the stupid Facebook groups, took my before pictures and measurements, and got rid of the junk in the house.

I had the workout in place. I just needed to figure out what I was going to do with the nutrition part of things. I read through the nutrition materials for 80DO but I didn’t really want to do containers. It looked like too much brain power. So I figured I will go with macros and track everything in My Fitness Pal. The macro calculator gives me a generous 1524 calories per day: 114 g carbs, 114 g protein, 68 g fat. I think that is doable. I looked at foods I know I like and are fairly convenient and I think I can work with it. But...I have to give up my sanity, my precious coffee with lots of French vanilla creamer. There is just no way I can make it fit. I’ve tried alternatives to the creamer and it’s just not the same. So...no more giant cups of coffee to get me through my day. Instead, I will take one small travel mug of hot coffee with milk and a larger, cold brewed coffee with milk to work. Eventually, I would like to get off the coffee altogether, except for one or two cups on my days off.

When to work out was the next issue I had. I loved my sleep, and don’t really want to get up any earlier in the morning. Besides, I have a roommate and I don’t want to wake him up with my cursing and crying at the buttcrack of dawn. I worry about exercising in the evening because I am fucking tired and lazy when I get home from work. But there is no reason not to work out in the evenings. I get home at a decent time, have no commitments to worry about. So from 6:30 to 7:30 every evening is going to be my time. Well, not on Tuesdays. I work late on Tuesdays so I can do my workout before going into work while still getting up at my usual time. So I feel good about this schedule. I just need to follow through. And make sure I am prepping my foods and all that shit because I have to take lunch to work now. My coffee held me over all day but without that, I will need to eat.

I am desperately hoping this will get me back onto the path I was on back in 2011...best shape of my life. I am older now and I know it will be harder. I have to remind myself that it will take time, and forgive myself for not being perfect.

I found myself immediately falling into the old habit of being afraid to eat. I had lettuce and salsa for lunch, for fuck’s sake. I entered my planned dinner into MFP and decided it was too many carbs and too much fat, even though I still would have been under my goals for the day. So I had chicken with salsa and guacamole. I should have made some veggies but I think I have mentioned that I am a lazy fuck.

On the plus side, I did get my lunches prepped for the week. Now if I just “remember” to take them. I can’t stand the thought of food in the morning and even if it's ready, I don't want to take it with me.

Today's abysmal food intake:

coffee w/ (a little) creamer & Splenda
scrambled eggs w/ salsa & guacamole
salad w/ salsa & guacamole
chicken breast w/ salsa and guacamole

I obviously really like salsa and guacamole.

857 calories - 56 g carbs, 43 g fat, 61 g protein

I was going to make some oatmeal with protein powder and PB2 but have I mentioned that I'm lazy?

No comments: